Analogy: abdicate - renounce

JLanguage

USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
I had an analogy on a vocab. quiz and I'm not sure I understand the correct answer. Here it is:

abdicate: throne::

A. stipulate: condition
B. renounce: title
C. obviously wrong
D. obviously wrong

B was the correct answer, but I put A. Why is B more correct?

Thanks,
-Jonathan.

• garryknight

UK, English
    "Abdicate" has the same kind of relationship to "throne" as "renounce" has to "title". But "stipulate" doesn't have anything like the same relationship with "condition", as "stipulate" doesn't imply giving something up.

Here's a couple of other (rather obvious) examples that do have the same relationship:

relinquish: control
    abandon:ship

jacinta

USA English
    Yes, B. is right. Did you look up the meanings of abdicate and renounce? They mean roughly the same thing: to give up
    throne can also mean title. The prince abdicates the throne. He turns over the job of being prince to someone else. He gave up the throne.
    The winner of the spelling bee renounced his title. He gave up the title of winner.

These are silly examples but...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes. "Stipulating a condition" has nothing to do with giving anything up. In fact, "stipulating" implies "introducing" the condition; if anything, "doing away with a condition" would have the same relationship, although it's still not as precise as "renouncing a title." In short, "abdicating a throne" and "renouncing a title" both have to do with voluntarily giving up something that you own/are entitled to.

< Previous | Next >