analysing the structure of a sentence

< Previous | Next >

dhchong

Korean
Hello members.

This sentence is from a study report with title "a desire for a conversation".

I'm trying to understand the structure of this sentence.
My interpretation is that
They can be muddled up with public art projects.
In those public projects , companies which buy and commission art consider art as an investment strategy
and they (the companies) consider business sponsorship of the arts as contracts between artists and business.

I wonder if this is right interpretation. Could somebody help me?

The nature, values and intentions of such projects can be mistaken for and muddled up with public art projects, companies which buy and commission art as an investment strategy, business sponsorship of the arts, contracts between artists and business which are concerned with image, branding and marketing.

• baldpate

UK, English
    What an absolutely dreadful sentence! No wonder you find it difficult to understand.

My interpretation is rather different, and is one which reveals the structure to be just a rather complicated list.

Let me repunctuate it, and lay the same text out differently, and I think you will see what I mean:

The nature, values and intentions of such projects can be mistaken for and muddled up with :
    public art projects;
    companies which buy and commission art as an investment strategy;
    business sponsorship of the arts;
    contracts between artists and business which are concerned with image, branding and marketing.

In other words there are four other types of activity with which 'such projects' may be confused.

dhchong

Korean
    I get it. Thank you very much for your help. Without your help, I would misunderstand the whole sentence.

< Previous | Next >