Anata wa ayamaru beki desu

Sarper18

Mexico city Spanish
anata beki ayamaru

is that = to You should apologize.

thanks
=)

Moderation notes:

I. Please include your question both in the title and the post itself. Thread titles may be edited for redefining the scope of the thread, correcting typos and other reasons to make the thread more searchable and poster-friendly. It is, therefore, important for the original question to remain unchanged in the main body of the post.

II. All threads need context and background.

Japanese words and phrases can have many different meanings. Understanding them depends on where, when and how they are used. When you post a question, please include as much background information and context as you can.
A question with no context may get an answer. If the question is straightforward, it may not be a wrong answer.
But the more context you provide, the better the answers will be. :)

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I'd definitely need the exact context but I find beki to be too strong a translation for "should." If the intended function is advice rather than an order, constructions with -ta hōga ī sounds more natural too me:
    Ayamatta hōga ī.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Right.
    What about : ayamattara hôga ii ?
    Perhaps you had "ayamattara (īn janai)?" in mind? That is a gentler advice.

In the way you put it, the sentence is ungrammatical; -tara terminates the subordinate clause, so the next element should commence the main clause. , however, cannot commence a new sentence because it is usually suffixed to something else (e.g., kono hō-ga ī).

< Previous | Next >