Anche il più smaliziato.

theartichoke

English - Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a better translation for smaliziato in my context than "shrewd" and its synonyms provided by the WR dictionary. After a long description of how enormous the Grand Hotel is, we get the following lines:

Al Grand Hotel, dove non arrivava i'eccesso di spazio suppliva il lusso e allora ogni dettaglio sembrava studiato per incantare il visitatore. Anche il più smaliziato. Anche il più dandy.

Treccani offers "esperto, scaltrito, non più ingenuo," the last of which makes me think it might be either "wordly" or "jaded." I personally like "jaded" here, but I'm not sure if "smaliziato" has that nuance of being so accustomed to something that you're unimpressed by it, even slightly tired of it. I'm open to better suggestions too, of course!

• Starless74

Italiano
    I'm not sure if "smaliziato" has that nuance of being so accustomed to something that you're unimpressed by it, even slightly tired of it.
    Hi, artichoke
    I understand "smaliziato" in this context is a person who "has seen it all" so can hardly be impressed by anything.
    I'm unable to suggest the right English equivalent, though. :oops:

Starless74

Italiano

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Interesting discussion. :) For the meaning of smaliziato, I got the same sense as Starless: in the context of luxury hotels, the visitor who's smaliziato is one who has seen it all and is therefore hard to impress. "Jaded," which the OED defines as "Dull or sated by continual use or indulgence," strikes me meaning the same thing, but with a touch of the pejorative.

Each of the other suggestions has its own nuance, too: "Even the shrewdest" would imply a visitor who could see through a hotel that was offering a cheap or false version of luxury; "Even the savviest / most experienced / most seasoned traveller" all suggest a kind of travel know-how, and know-how, per se, isn't what would make a person unimpressed with the average luxury hotel (but not the Grand Hotel).

"Worldy" (OED: Sophisticated, experienced, cosmopolitan; worldly-wise) might actually be closest.

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Also perhaps "..even the most wised-up."

Or even 'sophisticated'.

I think here the meaning is not that of 'jaded' (for me an effect of the dulling down of enthusiasm etc. because of overexposure) but that of 'hard to please'.

A very slight nuance.

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Actually, "sophisticated" might do the job very well; it's clearer and more commonly used, I think, than "worldy," and avoids the negative connotations of "jaded."

WR-addict

Italian Tuscany
    ....even the ultra sophisticated...
    but I don’t know if sophisticated is an extreme adjective that doesn’t allow the use of an intensifier like ultra
    ...even the most bored and insatiable
    Or, why not
    ...the most disenchanted

< Previous | Next >