Anche io ho avuto un po' da fare

< Previous | Next >

frankieloveseddie

English - UK
Ciao a tutti,

Can someone please tell me if my translation below from Italian to English is correct? I'm slightly unsure about the first sentence. This message is in response to me saying that I have been working very hard lately and am looking forward to going over to Italy soon for a rest.

Anche io ho avuto un po' da fare e come al solito vacanze e viaggi niente. Qui in questo momento piove ed a cattivo tempo io sto da poco a letto e desidero tanto averti adesso con me. Per…….baciare tutto il tuo corpo. Vorresti anche tu?

Also I have a little to do and like usual no holiday and travelling. At this moment rain and bad weather. I am going to bed in a little while and I wish lots to have you with me now. For…………….to kiss lots your body. Do you want that also?

Grazie mille

Please bear in mind that accents are NOT optional

Last edited by a moderator:
  • coolbrowne

Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    Actually, it's not an accent but an apostrophe, which indicates the omission of part of the word poco.
    I wasn't aware there was an accent missing :(
    Now, the translation

I too have been a bit busy and, as usual, no vacation, no travel. At this moment it rains and the weather is bad. I am going to bed in a little while and I so wish to have you with me. For…………… kiss your whole body. Do you want that too?

Regards

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I have also been a bit busy and, as usual, no holidays. Right now it is raining and the weather is bad. I am going to bed in a little while and I want to have you here with me. For…………… kiss your whole body. Do you want that too?
    "Cattivo" è più forse di "bad", no? Non ero sicuro.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I thought so, but I kinda thought it worked like

Tempo male = Bad weather (rain/drizzle/overcast/cold)
    Tempo cattivo = Terrible weather (thunder/lightning/storms/gales)

Right? So "tempo cattivo" is worse than "tempo male", or they both just mean 'bad, nasty weather'?

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    I thought so, but I kinda thought it worked like

brutto tempo male = Bad weather (rain/drizzle/overcast/cold)
    tempo cattivo = Terrible weather (thunder/lightning/storms/gales)

Right? So "tempo cattivo" is worse than "brutto tempo male", or they both just mean 'bad, nasty weather'? :tick:
    There is no difference, in my opinion. :)

coolbrowne

Good Evening,

Some of the corrections are reasonable variations, but there are a couple of problems:
    Anche io ho avuto... - "Anche" refers to "io", hence "I too have ..."
    However this changes the sense
    I have also been a bit busy and...
    It conveys the idea that "I have been a bit busy", in addition to <whatever was said before>, as if "anche" referred to some other action or fact, rather than to the pronoun "io"

And here the effect of the adverb "tanto" is lost
    I want to have you here with me
    Of course, there will be many variations of "I so wish you..." which will manage to keep that effect as well (this one seemed to fit the tone of the text fragment).

Regards

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I disagree coolbrowne,

"I've been very busy" then when a reply is given later "I've also been very busy (like you)" ... it does also mean what you say "in addition to <what was said before>", but it sounds much more normal to express what you wanted, by saying "I've also", "I, too", is not very common at all anymore to my ears, not even on TV.

But I suppose for a strict and proper translation, you're right, but as for normal and flowing sounding, I'd suggest mine.

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Anche io ho avuto... - "Anche" refers to "io", hence "I too have ..."
    However this changes the senseIt conveys the idea that "I have been a bit busy", in addition to <whatever was said before>, as if "anche" referred to some other action or fact, rather than to the pronoun "io"
    There is an old thread of mine about this topic. :)

coolbrowne

Point taken, Alex, thank you :thumbsup:
    "I, too", is not very common at all anymore to my ears, not even on TV.
    I agree that it is not too common nowadays, even on TV (I mean American TV, to be sure. I can't say I know anything about English or Australian TV). However (always in the American context) I venture that the lack of “I too” use might be due to the pervasive incorrect use of “Me too”, when the pronoun is a subject, rather that an object.
    There is an old thread of mine about this topic. :)
    Thank you, Necsus. That is an excellent thread. I wouldn't otherwise have known about it. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >