Ancient and modern: Νους, νοειν, νοήματα

Veggy

italy
hi, I am reading a book in italian, it talks among other things about philosophy and very often talking about Aristotele the word "nous" is mentioned. As it is written in italic I suppose it's a greek word or ancient greek.
Can anyone tell me the exact meaning?
Thanks

• CrepiIlLupo

USA - English
    ciao veggy:)

Ho visto questa parola prima, e penso che si traduce letteralmente a "mente" in italiano.

νους (nous), seconda me, sembra la "psiche" di qualcuno, mentre una parola come "cervello" puo' essere traduce meglio a μυαλό (myalo) in Greco.

Spero che mi puoi capire, sto parlando l'italiano per sette mese da solo, e non mi sono abituato a scrivere cosi'. Ma provo da migliorare sempre, e correzione sono accolte.. :D

Can natives confirm? νους = more like mind, μυαλό = more like brain?

Veggy

italy
    Thank you so much both of you.
    CrepiIlLupo: could you tell me if vouç and nous are the same word?
    Tetina: could you write the words in greek using latiin letters so I can read the difference between mind and brain?
    Thanks

CrepiIlLupo

USA - English
    Veggy,

si scrive νους in Greco, e si sarebbe scrive "nous" in Italiano/Inglese, perche la lettera "v" in Greco sembra la lettera "n" in Inglese/Italiano.

Quindi νους e nous sono le stesse cose, uno si scrive in Greco, e uno si cambia che persone chi non parlano Greco possano leggerlo.

Spero che ti aiutassi!

Ciao

Veggy

italy
    Si, si mi ha molto aiutato, grazie. Your italian is good just needs a little practice.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Just a note: μυαλό (Myalo) is the modern word for brain (I think it's medieval but don't ask me exactly when it appeared :D ). It can also mean "understanding", exactly like brain.

In Aristotle's time, the gooey matter in our heads was called ἐγκέφαλος (egkefalos), a word still widely used.

I don't know Italian but isn't "psiche" ψυχή? "Mente" seems like the perfect translation since it is in all probability derived from the Latin "mens" which I know to be the perfect translation of nous (e.g. we translated "mens" in "mens sana in corpore sano" with "nous")

Tetina

Greece / greek
    Thank you so much both of you.
    CrepiIlLupo: could you tell me if vouç and nous are the same word?
    Tetina: could you write the words in greek using latiin letters so I can read the difference between mind and brain?
    Thanks

nous =íïýò =mind
    "í" = "n"
    "ïõ" = "u"

mialo =ìõáëü = brain
    "õ" = é

marilou

Toscana-Italia
    Ciao sono anche io italiana, "nous" in greco moderno è la mente mentre "mialò" e "engkefalo" indicano il cervello. Nous è qualcosa di meno materiale quindi riferito anche al pensiero. Nootropia significa mentalità da nous+tropous(modi)...spero di essere stata chiara. Io conosco bene solo il greco moderno quindi non ti posso aiutare con il greco antico...

Veggy

italy
    Grazie a tutti di cuore. Infatti andando avanti con la lettura, alla ripetizione di "nous" dice: per Aristotele, organo destinato alla visione della verità. Dunque le spiegazioni da voi date sono perfette. Grazie

Veggy

italy
    Sempre nello stesso libro e sempre attribuito ad Aristotele trovo ora un'altra parola che non viene tradotta nel testo: "noein".
    Sarà il pensiero del "nous"?
    grazie

modus.irrealis

English - Canada
    noein (νοεῖν) is the infinitive of a verb that roughly means "perceive by the mind" or "think." It can also mean other things but I think this is its basic meaning in philosophical works.

(My minimal knowledge of Italian let me kind of figure out what you were asking but there was no way I could respond in Italian :))

Veggy

italy
    Thanks modus, that is what I thought when I said in italian "pensiero". You have just confirmed. I suppose "noemasin" is the plural of noein which you say is a verb but could it be a substantive also?
    There are all these words like "phantasia" or"pathemata" wich I can guess because of their similarity with latin or italian but others are too far off, that's why I come to ask in the forum
    thanks again to all who answered.

modus.irrealis

English - Canada
    Ah -- I looked up "pensiero" in the dictionary and thought it could only mean "thought" in the sense of "idea" but if it can refer to the process of intellectual-perception/thinking as well, then it could be a good translation of "noein" (although "noein" is still a form of a verb so you have to be careful). "noemasin," on the other hand, is a plural form (the dative plural to be precise) of "noema," which is a noun which can mean "what is thought."

Veggy

italy
    So, if I understand well, nous is the mind, noein is the activity of the mind, the thinking and noemasin are the thoughts.
    Am I right ?

parakseno

Romanian, Romania
    In Koine at least it seems to have that meaning. One of my dictionaries quotes an example where νοήματα (noemata/ noimata(Modern Greek) - Nominative plural) is translated as "thoughts" or "plans".

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Noemata in ancient Greek can be either thoughts or meaning with "thoughts" or "things conceived in/with the mind" being the most prominent one.

And now I'll put my mod hat :D Any further discussion about any but the original word should be done in a separate thread :)