ancient Egypt (the/zero article)

maruvargas5

Spanish-Venezuela
I'm studying the/zero article and i understand all of its uses but there is this exercise that i don´t understand...i still can't find the explanation to why we do not use "the" when we talk about the ancient Egypt, maybe it is because i'm thinking in spanish...is it because it is about a country such as Spain or Chile? but what about "ancient"? This is my first post so sorry if there is any mistake in it.

Thank you!

• SevenDays

Spanish
    "The" is an article, and "ancient" is an adjective. Both "articles" and "adjectives" belong to the category of "determiners," words that modify nouns. Given that we already have the determiner "ancient." we don't use "the;" thus, we say ancient Egypt. You would use "the" if you specify "ancient Egypt" in some fashion, for example: the ancient Egypt that historians write about. In that case, "ancient" is called a determiner, and "the" a pre-determiner.
    Cheers

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Welcome, maruvargas ! :)
    I agree with SevenDays. You would use "the ancient Egypt ..." only if you were distinguishing one kind of ancient Egpyt from another.
    I understand all of its uses but there is this exercise that I don´t understand... I still can't find the explanation to why we do not use "the" when we talk about the ancient Egypt, maybe it is because I'm thinking in Spanish...

< Previous | Next >