Ancient Greek: proper use of οὗ/οὑ

Michael Zwingli

English (U.S.A. - New England)
I am wondering if the pronoun οὗ, and even moreso the enclitic form οὑ, which seem in essence to be accusatives, were only used with transitive verbs. Were these pronouns also used with intransitively verbs such as εἰμῐ́ ? Another way of saying this is to ask: can οὗ/οὑ mean "he"/"she" (as the referent of intransitive verbs) as it can mean "him"/"her" (as the referent of transitive verbs)?

Last edited:
  • Αγγελος

Greek
    Browsing through the Greek section of the Word Reference Forum for the first time in months, I came across your question, which had never been answered. And I think I understand why. οὗ is simply the genitive of the relative pronoun ὅς /ὅ. It is not an accusative and does not, as far as I know, have an enclitic form (unstressed οὐ, with a smooth breathing, means 'not' and has nothing to do with the pronoun).
    Perhaps you are thinking of the Homeric third-person personal pronoun οὑ (gen.)/οἱ (dat.)/ἑ (acc.), which is indeed enclitic. Again, οὗ or οὑ is a genitive, not an accusative, and is hardly used in Attic prose (only the dative is).
    Am I missing something?