And 12-stepped me to the altar

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

Somebody is talking about his story. He did some killings in his country and went away.
And he says,
"And woke up somewhere, I don't know where. Fucking in a bottle.
And that's where Anna Marie came in and lifted me up.
Stupidly loved me and 12-stepped me to the altar."

Seems Anna Marie married him, but what's this form "12-stepped me".
Are there 12 steps to the altar? Movie "The Prince".

Thank you

• Loob

English UK
    Hi chopin

It's a reference to a twelve-step recovery program(me) - probably, given the mention of "a bottle", that of Alcoholics Anonymous.

From the Wiki article Twelve-step program:
    A twelve-step program is a set of guiding principles (accepted by members as 'spiritual principles,' based on the approved literature) outlining a course of action for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioral problems. Originally proposed by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) as a method of recovery from alcoholism,[1] the Twelve Steps were first published in the 1939 book Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How More Than One Hundred Men Have Recovered from Alcoholism.[2] The method was adapted and became the foundation of other twelve-step programs.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I haven't seen the movie, but I think this is a reference to 12-step programs for recovery from addiction. The first such program was that of Alcoholics Anonymous. That's probably what this refers to, since he says "in a bottle" - that is, he drank too much. There are other 12-step programs for other addictions today.

The entire phrase seems to mean that she got him into a 12-step program such as this and eventually married him.

Does that fit the rest of the context in the movie?

Language Hound

American English
    I have not seen this movie, but my guess, based on the above context, is that
    Anna Marie helped him "recover" from his murdering and drinking ways.
    I believe "12-stepped me" is a reference to the various twelve-step programs.
    (Description of twelve-step programs, Source: Wikipedia)

Cross-posted

< Previous | Next >