and again sequence of tenses

< Previous | Next >

abda2405

Russian
Hello dear friends, please help me with the sequence of tenses. I am so tired of doubting whether I said something correctly or not... Firstly, would it be correct if I said "Ann told me she doesn't like you" (she doesn't like in present)? I've always thought It should be "ann told me she didn't. ." But after watching an English video lesson on which the tutor said "she told me she doesn't like you" I started to doubt... so is it correct to say in present simple after past simple?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Ann told me she doesn't like you" is perfectly correct; the person speaking assumes that Anne still holds this opinion.

Sometimes the speaker does not make that assumption:
    "Last Christmas Anne told me she didn't like you, but I know for a fact that she has changed her mind since then."
    "When we all went on holiday together, Anne told me she didn't like you." (We don't know whether she still doesn't like her.)

abda2405

Russian
    Thank you so much! You've made everything clear. So it's ok if I say "I told you already that I don't like you!"?:) and can there be any AmE and BrE differences? And let's say my girlfriend told me "I won't go there if you don't get me a car", will the reported speech be "she told me she wouldn't go if I didn't or don't get her a car" and the issue is still actual.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Already", "just", and "yet" are tricky, I think. In British English we are more likely to use the present perfect tense: "I have already told you that I don't like you". In US English "I told you already that I don't like you" would probably be used. But do wait for a US speaker to confirm.

Ironworker

English (hillbilly south) USA
    "Already", "just", and "yet" are tricky, I think. In British English we are more likely to use the present perfect tense: "I have already told you that I don't like you". In US English "I told you already that I don't like you" would probably be used. But do wait for a US speaker to confirm.

Both sound ok to me. I would say "I have already told you that I don't like you" or "I already told you that I don't like you"
    But "I told you already that I don't like you" doesn't sound wrong to me. There may need to be a comma between already and that so there would be a slight pause but I'm not good with punctuation. " I told you already, that I don't like you" I am not sure on that.

< Previous | Next >