And, also, furthermore, in addition,...

alex_ln

Polish
Hi

For giving the reason in the informal writing which one of "And, also, furthermore, in addition,..." do you recommend? (I do know "And" is good for informal but could you please give me some alternatives as well?). Also, how is the punctuation?

Is the following right?
"(Sentence). And, (Sentence)"
"(Sentence); and, (Sentence)"

Thanks

• conduit_girl

English- United States
    Hello-

Same comment as before: Can you provide the specific sentence that you want to work on? Or a few different sentences? Which phrase is appropriate will depend on the particular sentence.

alex_ln

Polish
    I'm talking about Informal writing.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment. And, my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment; and, my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment, and my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.

conduit_girl

English- United States
    The first example is a fairly commonly used structure (a sentence beginning with "and"), but I suspect this may not be technically correct... let's see what others say. The second sentence is incorrect. The third sentence is appropriate.

alex_ln

Polish
    While waiting for others to give their opinions, could you please give me your suggestions for alternatives for the informal writing?
    I guess "In addition, furthermore, moreover" are quite formal. what about "Also"? And your opinion is totally appreciated!

Loob

English UK
    I'm talking about Informal writing.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment. And, my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment; and, my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.
    In my new workplace people collaborate and cooperate in a much friendlier environment, and my new job is not as demanding as the previous one.
    Well, for starters, alex, please don't put a comma after "and" in your example sentences: only the third sentence is possible:cool:.

alex_ln

Polish
    Well, for starters, alex, please don't put a comma after "and" in your example sentences: only the third sentence is possible:cool:.
    Would you say the same if I changed "and" with "also"?
    In other words, I guess "And" has different rules. I guess for "Also, moreover, in addition, furthermore" the mentioned structures is fine! Could you please confirm me?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >