and / as well as / besides

as_99

Arabic
I am wondering is it correct to use "and" and then "as well as" or "besides" in the sentence as follows:

"I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures besides (or as well as) the notes taken during the course"

what about using firstly "and", then "besides", and then "as well as"
as follows:

"I decided to focus on his materials besids her lectures as well as the notes taken during the course"

Please advise.

• grendelsbayne

English
    Besides does not work in that sentence.

"I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures as well as the notes taken during the course"

This would be correct, as would be this:

"I decided to focus on his materials as well as her lectures and the notes taken during the course"

I think the first one sounds more natural, though

as_99

Arabic

"I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures as well as the notes taken during the course"

This would be correct, as would be this:

"I decided to focus on his materials as well as her lectures and the notes taken during the course"

I think the first one sounds more natural, though
    Thanks. Would you please give an example of use of besides.

Thanks again.

grendelsbayne

English
    Besides is more similar in meaning to 'anyway'.

He didn't have the money for the trip, and besides, he didn't even really want to go.

Natalisha

Russian
    Besides can add new information to what is already known:

Besides his materials and her lectures, I decided to focus on the notes taken during the course.
    Besides his materials, I decided to focus on her lectures and the notes taken during the course.

TommyGun

"I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures besides (or as well as) the notes taken during the course"
    Really, why? What is wrong with besides here?

I can guess a couple of reasons:
    1. The verb is omitted. Should be something like this:
    I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures besides focusing onthe notes taken during the course.

2. Besides should go at the start of the sentence, as it provides already known information.
    Besides the notes taken during the course, I decided to focus on his materials and her lectures.

< Previous | Next >