... and back

Nicoolax

Français
I have a question about the expression "and back". Is it means like in French "et vice-et-versa" ?

Context :

The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and back is bad for global survival.

The meaning can be something like :

The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and from wealth to feminity is bad for global survival.

Thx !

• Carrie2

English, UK
    No. "The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and back" means from poverty to masculinity, and then back again from masculinity to poverty (i.e. in the opposite direction too). It's the same idea as a journey from London to Paris and back, for exmaple, which means from London to Paris and then back again from Paris to London.

But actually "The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and back" doesn't sound very good in English, at least not to me. I don't think it's very well written. (I realise, of course, that you didn't write it. :) )

curly

English - Ireland
    I have a question about the expression "and back". Is it means like in French "et vice-et-versa" ?

Context :

The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and back is bad for global survival.

The meaning can be something like :

The vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and from wealth to feminity is bad for global survival.

Thx !
    No it's closer to a vicious circle from poverty to masculinity and back to poverty.

or from poverty to masculinity to poverty again.

:)
    (That wasn't a response to your post carrie2)

< Previous | Next >