and discussed me, and thought I might just do

kitesandeater

Spanish
No idea of what does this thread mean:confused:. Would you please explain? Thank you.

“For once in my life I’ll thank you to leave me alone. I‘ll thank your mother too. For twelve years you’ve trained me and tortured me, and I’ll stand it no more. Do you think I’m a fool? Do you think I never felt? Ah! When I came to your house a poor young bride, how you all looked me over– never a kind word– and discussed me, and thought I might just do; and your mother corrected me, and your sister snubbed me, and you said funny things about me to show how clever you were!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You should say where the quote comes from (Where Angels Fear to Tread, by EM Forster (1905)).

"Thought I might just do" means that you thought I was probably just about acceptable as the wife of a son in your family.

Last edited:

kitesandeater

Spanish
    You should say where the quote comes from (Where Angels Fear to Tread, by EM Forster (1905)).
    Yes, you are right! it comes from Where Angels Fear to Tread, by EM Forster (1905)

They looked her over and talked about her, and decided that she might (barely) be acceptable.
    Great!:eek:
    "do" here means be adequate, be fine for a purpose.
    Great:eek:
    "Thought I might just do" means that you thought I was probably just about acceptable as a wife for the son of your family..
    Great!:eek:

So, let me put it like this [in a more easy way for me, as Spanish, i.e. not an English native].
    and [you all] discussed me, and thought I might just do

"and you all talked about me [in my presence] and decided that I miiiiight [barely] be good for [in this case, marrying my fiancé"

The Newt, handsomechuck, Uncle Jack: Is my attempt acceptable? Thank you.

So, let me put it like this [in a more easy way for me, as Spanish, i.e. not an English native].
    and [you all] discussed me, and thought I might just do

"and you all talked about me [in my presence] and decided that I miiiiight [barely] be good for [in this case, marrying my fiancé"

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Jack

British English
    and you all talked about me [in my presence]
    It isn't clear from the quote whether the discussion was in her presence or not. She could have surmised that they discussed her, rather than actually heard them discussing her.
    and decided that I miiiiight [barely] be good for [in this case, marrying my fiancé"
    I think you need "good enough", rather than just "good". "Good enough" is better followed by a to-infinitive rather than a preposition and gerund ("good enough to marry..."). Also, the key thing is that her fiancé is a member of the family.

< Previous | Next >