And grateful they would be if anybody could ban them form it, just as I would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis143

Chinese
e.g., I used to be a so-called web junkie. Being so experienced in pretexts for playing computer games, I can give dozens of reasons to defend the role that computer games play in a child's development. However, it is exactly my experience which makes me firmly assert, that playing computer games is absolutely a waste of time for children. And grateful they would be if anybody could ban them form it, just as I would have.

What above is the opening paragraph of one of my essays, and please help me with the following two questions.

Q1:"And grateful they would be if anybody could ban them form it, just as I would have."

In this sentence, they means children, and the front part of this sentence depict the situation in which somebody ban children from playing computer games. The ban happens in a present tense, so I use "would be" in the main clause. However, in the later part of the sentence, the clause depict my behavior in the situation that I WAS been banned from it, which is not the same with the front part. Is that one correct used?

[[ Second question removed by moderator. ]]

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Welcome to WRF, Travis143,

Grateful is in a strange, but not necessarily wrong, position. The original position is very "literary or poetic.":
    Several verb forms are available for "to ban" depending on exactly what you mean:

Q1:"And they would be grateful if somebody banned them from it, just as I was grateful."
    or
    Q1:"And they would be grateful if somebody were to ban them from it, just as I was grateful."
    or
    Q1:"And they would be grateful if somebody were able to ban them from it, just as I was grateful."
    Q2:"However, it is exactly my experience which makes me firmly assert"
    The rule is "One question = one post." :oops: You will have to post a new question. :thumbsup:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with Paul about the unnecessarily inverted word order.

If anyone banned them from it, they would be grateful - just as I would have been grateful (if someone had banned me from playing).

I'm not quite sure whther this is what you mean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >