"...and had not yet had returned to him." I don't get this sentence...

ShawntotheKim

Korean
This sentence below is from "keep the Aspidastra Flying" by George Orwell.

Moreover, there were a couple of poems that he had sent out to magazines and had not yet had returned to him.

Shouldn't it be just "... and had not yet returned to him."??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • london calling

UK English
    This sentence below is from "keep the Aspidastra Flying" by George Orwell.

Moreover, there were a couple of poems that he had sent out to magazines and had not yet had returned to him.

Shouldn't it be just "... and had not yet returne to him.":cross:??
    I don't know which edition you are using, but the correct sentence is '....and had not yet had been returned to him'.

ShawntotheKim

Korean
    I don't know which edition you are using, but the correct sentence is '....and had not yet had been returned to him'.
    Right...
    The subject of the second clause would be "a couple of poems," not the "magazines."

I don't the the version.
    I got this from a test prep book. :)

Thank you for your opinion.

london calling

UK English
    Actually, looking at it you're right, RM1. I just checked my copy: it says just that.

I think I dismissed it (without thought, mea culpa) because to have something returned suggests that Gordon would have to actively organise the return of his poems to him, rather than his waiting for the magazines to send them back. However, that is entirely possible: why would the magazines spend money to send the poems back to him?

london calling

UK English
    No more than "I had my car get stolen last night" means that I arranged for it to happen.
    Ah, but that sounds totally wrong to me in BE, so I would never use it.;). I'd say "My car was stolen last night". "I had my car stolen last night" is also possible, but that would mean I was operating an insurance scam.

< Previous | Next >