And having asked, so shall you receive.

< Previous | Next >

SRPGgamer

Chinese
Hey guys~ Would you mind taking a look at the statements I quoted from a book and answer my question out of the contexts as the followings:

A: Good. Remember, you’ve asked for this explanation. <<excess quotation deleted >> You have asked for it in layman’s terms, not the mythological doctrines or scientific theories.

B: Yes—I know what I’ve asked.

A:And having asked, so shall you receive.

My concern is about the last sentence which begins with "And having asked....". I was just wondering if it is grammtically correct, if so, what does it mean? (The syntax used dosen't seem right to my ear).

P.S: I quoted these statements from a book called "Conversation with God"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Titi Hilda

spanish
    I can understand it may not sound right to you. The construction of sentences today is not the same used centuries ago. The book that you refer to may have constructed some sentences, probably God's answers, as they would have been centuries ago.

Last edited:

Oeco

English - US
    I'm not sure that this is an old construction or syntax. It seems perfectly fine to my ears.

"Because you have asked, you shall receive" It's a version of a biblical (new testament) phrase, "Seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened, ask and it shall be given..."

Oeco

English - US
    Yes, it is. Now that I see that it is from "A Conversation with God" the allusion to the Scripture is obvious. The meaning, following the biblical text, is "since you have asked, by that virtue, you shall receive." That's more clumsy that the original you quoted, but there it is.

Æsop

Banned
    English--American (upstate NY)
    Keep in mind that this is a conversation, i.e., spoken, not written, English. Spoken English does not follow the same rules as written English. The "rule" against beginning a sentence with "and," not always followed even in good written English, does not apply to the spoken form. The inversion of "you shall" would be unusual in either modern spoken or modern written English, but not unknown. It emphasizes the shall and echoes the syntax of the King James Bible.

< Previous | Next >