And here I thought

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello
It's the movie "Tower Heist".
Some wealthy businessman will remain under house arrest
at his penthouse apartment. There he has a Ferrari.
And he says to the FBI agent, "Agent Denham, that is a nineteen sixty-three
Ferrari two-fifty GT Lusso, owned and raced by the coolest cat who ever lived, Steve McQueen."

And the FBI agent, a little surprised, says to him,
"You got Steve McQueen's car parked in your living room?
And here I thought you were an asshole."

Now, this last one is simply "I thought you were..." or that "And here" adds something more?

Thank you

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Not much more. It could also be said 'And here I was, thinking you were an asshole' or 'And here's me, thinking you were an asshole'. The 'and' is not important to it; the word 'here' points to me, the person saying it: I was like this until you said that.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The "And here" (and similar introductory phrases) indicate that the speaker has just heard something that contradicts his previous understanding.
    So, until the agent discovered that the Ferrari was Steve McQueen's, he believed that the man was an asshole.
    Now that he knows more, he admits his previous belief - and that it was wrong.

Well, that's one interpretation.
    The other interpretation is a refinement of the first.
    The agent makes the comment ironically - perhaps expecting the man to be pleased that his statement about the car has impressed.
    But in truth, the agent is even more convinced than ever that the man is an asshole.

That's a bit difficult for me to explain :)

< Previous | Next >