and identifies where they are located

< Previous | Next >

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

Context (beginning of the pararaph): whether they are a supervisor or an individual contributor

To act on that bargain, AT&T five years ago asked all 107,000 of its managers (which is how it categorizes all its professional employees not covered by union contracts, regardless of whether they are a supervisor or an individual contributor) to set up internal profiles similar to LinkedIn accounts, detailing their job experiences, skills, education, certifications, and specialties. Today, 90 percent of the 110,000 managers have done so. Now when a new job opens up, the first thing Blase’s team does is check those profiles for internal candidates who have the necessary skill sets. At the same time, the company posts the hot new jobs and identifies where they are located, the exact skills needed to get those jobs, and how to get the training for those skills.

I can't understand the second part of the last sentence.
Why does the company identifies all those things? Doesn't it know them already?

As far as I know when a company posts an ad about a job (vacancy), it usually indicates what skills are needed for the job.

Or do I misunderstand the meaning of identify here? Does it mean specify then?

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    I think the point is that when there’s a vacancy they BOTH look for candidates from within the company, on the basis of existing employees’ internal profiles, AND advertise the job in the normal way — stating its location and requirements as well as providing information on the training available if you want to apply for such a position in the future.

< Previous | Next >