and invested with a terrible but unexplainable singularity

< Previous | Next >

vkhu

Vietnamese
A wave of almost abnormal horror swept over me, and invested with a terrible but unexplainable singularity the flashlight-glimpsed dust prints made by the intruder who had lately tried my door from this room.
I'm completely baffled by the wording of the phrase here. I don't see any connection between it and the rest of the sentence. Could someone help me please?

Source: "The Shadow over Innsmouth" by H. P. Lovecraft

• lingobingo

English - England
    The nub of the statement is that the speaker’s horror invested (= endowed) the dust prints with a terrible singularity (= apparent meaningfulness). But the word order is necessary to avoid an impossibly cumbersome sentence.

A wave of almost abnormal horror swept over me, and invested with a terrible but unexplainable singularity the flashlight-glimpsed dust prints made by the intruder who had lately tried my door from this room.
    =
    A wave of almost abnormal horror swept over me and invested the flashlight-glimpsed dust prints made by the intruder who had lately tried my door from this room with a terrible but unexplainable singularity.

< Previous | Next >