and it felt seasonal and simple

pirlary

Italian
Hi!
Can you please explain me the meaning of "seasonal" in this sentence?

"
All I had to do was drive towards it, and it felt seasonal and simple, and I threw off the strangeness of my earlier encounter, and got inside the warm cab, and eased the car into second gear."

Thank you!

• pirlary

Italian
    Of course!

"I got out of the car to inspect the top of the drift and its first sloping bend, or bending slope. [...] The sky in its night-coat worn through with stars. One, brighter than the rest, hung low in the valley. All I had to do was drive towards it, and it felt seasonal and simple, and I threw off the strangeness of my earlier encounter, and got inside the warm cab, and eased the car into second gear. [...]."

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ewie

English English
    :eek:Wow! that was a bit too much context, Pirlary!:D ~ we're limited to four sentences, so I've trimmed it a bit.

Unfortunately my phone has just rung so I can't answer your question right now.

ewie

English English
    Okay, phone-call over:)

Seasonal is often used as an adjective for describing something which is reminiscent (specifically) of Christmas, with all its attendant connotations of 'warm and comforting'. There's quite a lot going on in that sentence:
    seasonal = 'Christmassy'
    drive towards a star = like in the Nativity story of the three kings (or wise men) following the star to Bethlehem to see the newborn Christ.
    I think what the speaker is basically saying is: all I had to do was stop worrying so much, think nice warm thoughts, keep focussed on my destination in the distance ... and all would be well.

< Previous | Next >