... and its dog of late...

atsamo

Polish
Hi,

There is a comment in today's BBC Live - Wendsday football (Goalflashes and major incidents) by Sam Lyon:

"1921: Apart from Christian Gross, then, who will be hoping his side "verk" out a way to topple Barca tonight, plenty of Premier League connections on offer tonight - and one, in Marouane Chamakh, who if reports are to be believed is hoping to turn out for Arsenal next season. If any of you have read the papers in the past few months, the Bordeaux striker has been linked with every team and its dog of late, so will be interesting to see if he can turn it on ce soir, no?"

I can't understand the phrase "and its dog of late" in the clause 'the Bordeaux striker has been linked with every team and its dog of late'. It seems to me completely out of the context. Is there any logical explanation of this?

Thank you.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    'Every team and its dog' is a way of saying 'every possible team imaginable', or more colloquially 'every team under the sun'.
    'Of late' means 'lately', or 'recently'.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I've never seen it with words like 'team': the expression is usually something like 'every man and his dog'. Not only was everyone there, but they'd all brought their dogs as well: it's a joking way of emphasizing everyone.

< Previous | Next >