...and its potential for healing

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Blue Apple, May 10, 2018.

1. Blue Apple Senior Member

Persian(Iran)
    Does the bold section imply "with works that 1) celebrate her more recent sexual history, and 2) enjoy the potential to heal her older sexual history"?

Text:
    In works such as Is Anal Sex Legal? (1998) and Every Part of Me’s Bleeding (1999), Emin simultaneously exploits a potentially prurient appetite for knowledge of her abused childhood and sexual history and frees herself of the burdens of such histories. Alternatively, Emin simultaneously feeds this appetite with works that celebrate her more recent sexual history and its potential for healing as, for example, in Kiss me Kiss me Cover my Body in Love (1996) or Fantastic To Feel Beautiful Again (1997) (Art and Advertising by Joan Gibbons).

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    :thumbsup:

3. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    I interpret it as: "the potential that her more recent sexual history [good sexual experiences] has for healing the traumas that have been caused by her earlier sexual history [bad sexual experiences]".

4. Blue Apple Senior Member

Persian(Iran)
    I changed the question. I had a big mistake in expressing my understanding of the sentence. Please take a look at it now.

5. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    works that celebrate her more recent sexual history and its potential for healing

I agree with #3. The phrase can be interpreted as:

works that celebrate her more recent sexual history
    and the possibility that it can heal some of the damage caused by her earlier (abusive) experiences