and knew not what it was to adore a mistress in order to abuse her;

enkidu68

turkish
Hi everyone, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.

What does bold mean? Even though I understand the sentence, meaning is not clear.

She soon found she had gone too far with me, and, in short, that she was extremely out in her politics; that she had to do with one that was not listed yet among the whining sort of lovers, and knew not what it was to adore a mistress in order to abuse her; and that it was not with me as it was with the usual sort of men in love, that are warmed by the cold, and rise in their passions as the ladies fall in their returns.

• enkidu68

turkish
    Her behaviour was weird, as if she did not want him, but in reality tried to have him etc.
    She always gave ironic or satirical answers to him etc.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Colonel Jack is talking about a woman who has been consistently rude and dismissive to him. At first, this puzzled Colonel Jack, who says that, as far as women are concerned, although he does not object to some argument and disagreement, he does not like this to happen all the time.

She soon found she had gone too far with me, that is to say that her method of treating me was completely wrong and that she did not seem to realise that she was dealing with me, rather than one of those whining sort of lovers, and she did not understand that those sorts of lovers only pretended to adore a mistress because they had a later intention of treating her very badly; and I was not the same as the usual sort of men in love, i.e. those who are are encouraged by a woman’s cold responses, and who rise in their passions as the ladies start to offer more resistance.

< Previous | Next >