And my sting and the grave.

ahmedcrow

Arabic
"A spider and a scorpion were warning each other, the spider said:"My bite has no medicine (there's no one for it)", the scorpion replied:"And my sting, the grave is the next""

I was translating a slang joke between spider and scorpion and I'm wondering how to translate the scorpion reply, the literal text in Arabic is "and my sting is and the grave" he meant that will kill so fast, the grave is the direct fast step after it, so is "And my sting, the grave is the next" doing the meaning fine?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Interesting. In humor, brevity is king, so perhaps: "And after my sting, the grave," "my sting, then the grave," or "next to my sting, the grave."
    Your suggestion fits, though it does in part because the slightly creaky construction suggests something from a legend or a foreign tongue.

ahmedcrow

Arabic
    I think we can take "And my sting, then the grave.", it has more brevity, the original text has much brevity even it doesn't tell that the spider and scorpion were warning each other, you understand it from the context, but I found the way of telling what happens come in the introduction of so good Greek fables, Aesop's fables, I did like him in this joke.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "A spider and a scorpion were warning each other, the spider said:"There is no cure for my bite", the scorpion replied:"And my sting is certain death""
    It depends on the context and the style of the story, but usually, jokes do not work if the language is stylised (as your version is) and there is a saying "Brevity is the soul of wit" that means "Keep it short and simple."

< Previous | Next >