and no more...

fatfat116

Chinese
Hello everyone. Here is a multiple choose question that I don't understanding. Would someone like to help me?

When he got married, Alf was too embarrassed to say anything to his wife about his job. He simply told her that he worked for a Corporation.

He told her that he worked for a Corporation ______.
1. simply 2. in a simple way 3. and no more 4. only

I chose 4. only and the answer is 3. and no more. I was wondering whether both of them are grammatically correct:confused:. If yes or no, what is the different between them? Thank you very much.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    No, only 3 is correct. 1 and 4 would be possible if the blank was between "her" and "that" (and in that case 3 wouldn't be possible). The difference is that 3 modifies "told" and an adverb placed in this position would act on "corporation".

fatfat116

Chinese
    No, only 3 is correct. 1 and 4 would be possible if the blank was between "her" and "that" (and in that case 3 wouldn't be possible). The difference is that 3 modifies "told" and an adverb placed in this position would act on "corporation".
    Sorry. I am not a native. What is the problem of 'corporation only'? Thank you very much.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The difference is this:
    He told her only that he worked for a corporation : the only information he provided was that he worked for a corporation. He did not give any other information, such as his exact role, etc.

He told her that he worked for a corporation only : the only employer he has is a corporation. He does not work for anyone else.

fatfat116

Chinese
    The difference is this:
    He told her only that he worked for a corporation : the only information he provided was that he worked for a corporation. He did not give any other information, such as his exact role, etc.

He told her that he worked for a corporation only : the only employer he has is a corporation. He does not work for anyone else.
    I've got your point. Thank you very much indeed. :):thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >