and on other strands of Islam to do so as well

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

It should be clear by now that our conventional, special operations– based approach to defeating this phenomenon is not succeeding. The only thing that might work, argued Friedman, is “to bring pressure on Muslim states to make war on the jihadists and on other strands of Islam to do so as well. The pressure must be intense and the rewards substantial. ... But the only way to eliminate this movement is for Muslims to do it.

I'm a bit confused by the highlghted part. Does it imply "to bring pressure on Muslim states to make war on the jihadists and to bring pressure on other strands of Islam to make war on the jihadists"?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is not well written:

“The only thing that might work is {to bring pressure on Muslim states {so that they make war on the jihadists} and [to bring pressure] on other strands of Islam to do so [i.e. make war on the jihadists] as well.}

kentix

English - U.S.
    When he says "war" here he doesn't exclusively mean military conflict, I don't think. The "other strands of Islam" can oppose this strand without necessarily using rifles. There are many ways to bring pressure and make metaphorical "war".

< Previous | Next >