", and on the additional financing ..."modifies which part

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

We welcome the strong emphasis of the G-20 on assisting developing countries on keeping open trade, and on the additional financing for trade.

(This come from a study book introducing how to translate English into Chinese. I don't find it origin.)

Does the red part mean"and (we welcome the strong emphasis of the G-20) on the additional financing for trade"?

If there is not the red comma, does it mean "(assisting developing countries) on the additional financing for trade"?

Is the red comma before "and" an Oxford comma? Although we say "we welcome the emphasis of the G-20 on A and on B (there is no comma before "and" because there are only two objects)", the A part ("assisting developing countries on keeping open trade") is long and contains a second "on". So the comma, i.e. ", and on the additional financing for trade" is needed. Now I feel I'm confused.

Anyway, how to parse it grammatically?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • reno33

English - USA
    I'm not sure I'm answering your question , but here's my take on it:

There are two independent "units" in the original text regardless of the commas:
    1- ......strong emphasis......... .....on assisting developing countries
    2- .......strong emphasis................on the additional financing for trade

ironman2012

Chinese
    There are two independent "units" in the original text regardless of the commas:
    Can you tell me why the following understanding is wrong, grammatically?
    1. ... strong emphasis ... on assisting developing countries on keeping open trade
    2. ... strong emphasis ... on assisting developing countries on the additional financing for trade.

< Previous | Next >