and probably will <have fainted><faint> in the first 10min

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Sample sentence:

Oh god, those are exactly my thoughts whenever I see those chefs on Iron Chef America, Dinner impossible, Kitchen Nightmares or whatever. If I see something similar, I will be a ball of nerves and probably will <have fainted><faint> in the first 10min.

Question:

Do both options work in my sentence? If so, which is more appropriate here? I think "have fainted".

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• JJXR

Russian
    Thanks ain'ttranslationfun.

Is the sentence grammatically wrong with "have fainted"? If not, is it unnatural sounding or awkward with it?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    it sounds awkward because we use the future perfect in talking about a series of future events: "By the time you arrive, I'll have finished my homework." Your arrival is "further away" in the future than my finishing my homework.

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks ain'ttranslationfun.
    it sounds awkward because we use the future perfect in talking about a series of future events: "By the time you arrive, I'll have finished my homework." Your arrival is "further away" in the future than my finishing my homework.
    But the tenses used in my example sentence in post #1 seem to convey that idea, or is my understanding incorrect?

If we use the future simple "will faint", that means that the fainting will happen somewhere in the middle of the ten minute period:

I will be a ball of nerves and probably will faint in the first 10min. = I will be a ball of nerves and probably will faint during the first 10min.

The use of the future perfect "will have fainted" places us at the end of the ten minute period:

I will be a ball of nerves and probably will have fainted in the first 10min. = At the end of the first ten minutes, I will be a ball of nerves and probably will already have fainted.

< Previous | Next >