And put coins in many a pocket

LeeSun

Korean
Grand Maester Pycelle said. “They bring the great the chance of glory, and the lowly a respite from their woes.”

“And put coins in many a pocket,” Littlefinger added. “Every inn in the city is full, and the whores are walking bowlegged and jingling with each step.”

-A Game of Thrones

Question:
What is the difference between 'in many a pocket' and 'in many pockets'?

I'll be grateful if you help me. Thank you for your help, in advance.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    This is a special construction. 'Many a XXX' refers to a large indefinite number of XXXs.

You can say, many a time, many a man, many an occasion and so on. 'Many a pocket' just means 'very many pockets'.

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Hello, LeeSun. Welcome to the forum!

What is the difference between 'in many a pocket' and 'in many pockets'?
    Those are the same. "In many a pocket" is an older syntax, that isn't used very much in 2021 (in AmE).

"A Game of Thrones" uses a lot of old phrases, because it takes place hundreds of years ago. That's why people in this book fight with swords and shields, rather than machine guns and airplanes and bombs.

LeeSun

Korean
    This is a special construction. 'Many a XXX' refers to a large indefinite number of XXXs.

You can say, many a time, many a man, many an occasion and so on. 'Many a pocket' just means 'very many pockets'.
    Thanks a million.

LeeSun

Korean
    Hello, LeeSun. Welcome to the forum!

Those are the same. "In many a pocket" is an older syntax, that isn't used very much in 2021 (in AmE).

"A Game of Thrones" uses a lot of old phrases, because it takes place hundreds of years ago. That's why people in this book fight with swords and shields, rather than machine guns and airplanes and bombs.
    Thank you so much, and I appreciate your kind explanation about the book.