and reinforcing a stereotype

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Celebrities then mostly and meekly issue a grovelling apology and ask the public's forgiveness for any 'hurt and offence' caused by having their comment about disliking black coffee and big sausages construed as their opinion about non-white races and reinforcing a stereotype about black men having big dicks.
(Phantom Self; D. Icke)

Would you be so kind as to explain to me exactly how the part in bold is connected to the rest of the sentence?

Thanks.

• se16teddy

English - England
    I think "reinforcing" can only be parallel to "having". But it is a badly built sentence. For example, I don't think the word "having" is used in any standard sense: the hurt was not caused by the fact that the speaker of the unfortunate words experienced or suffered anything.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Icke isn't the clearest of stylists, is he? I think he means:
    Celebrities ask forgiveness for any 'offence' caused by having their comments construed as reinforcing a stereotype.

However, as Se16teddy points out, Icke has set up a grammatical parallel with his two present participles; I think it's a misleading one. I don't think that the celebrities are themselves reinforcing a stereotype, I think they're apologising for other people's misinterpretation.

I'm reminded of the case where a local government officer used the word "niggardly" and suffered badly not for what he really said but for another's misconstruction of it. (See Controversies about the word "niggardly" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Celebrities then mostly and meekly issue a grovelling apology and ask the public's forgiveness for any 'hurt and offence' caused by having their comment about disliking black coffee and big sausages construed as their opinion about non-white races and reinforcing a stereotype about black men having big dicks.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If Icke had meant that, Paul, (and it's quite possible that he did) he should have made it clear. Simply adding "for" before reinforcing would have done the trick. Sometimes, good style involves simply pausing a moment to re-read.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I think it's a misleading one. I don't think that the celebrities are themselves reinforcing a stereotype, I think they're apologising for other people's misinterpretation.
    I agree.
    I think it's like this:
    Celebrities then mostly and meekly issue a grovelling apology and ask the public's forgiveness for any 'hurt and offence' caused by having their comment about disliking black coffee and big sausages ...
    ... construed as their opinion about non-white races
    ... and reinforcing a stereotype about black men having big dicks.

What we then have is "having their comment reinforcing a stereotype". That is, "have someone/something doing something".

< Previous | Next >