and sent me copies of the act,

enkidu68

turkish
Hi friends, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Daniel Defoe.
(Question: Was this copy of the free pardon act sent in the same packet of letters or later?)

However, to my infinite satisfaction, there was a packet of letters from my wife, with another to her from England, as well one from her friend as one from my own correspondent; both of them inti mating that the king had signed an act of grace, that is to say, a general free pardon, and sent me copies of the act, wherein was manifest that I was fully included.

• owlman5

English-US
    I cannot tell whether the free pardon arrived at the same time the other correspondence from his wife and one of her friends arrived. It is possible that this pardon is still on its way to wherever the narrator is at this moment in the story.

Chasint

English - England
    Hi friends, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Daniel Defoe.
    (Question: Was this copy of the free pardon act sent in the same packet of letters or later?)
    However, to my infinite satisfaction, there was a packet of letters from my wife, with another to her from England, as well one from her friend as one from my own correspondent; both of them inti mating that the king had signed an act of grace, that is to say, a general free pardon, and sent me copies of the act, wherein was manifest that I was fully included.
    "...the king had signed an act of grace, ..., and sent me copies of the act..."

Without reading the story, my guess is that the king (or rather his servants) sent the copies to the writer's home address and the wife then passed on news of them to the writer without actually sending the copies.

Only context (knowledge of who is living where at the time) can resolve exactly what happened.

Last edited:

enkidu68

turkish
    He (Colonel Jack) was in an island named Antigua. Wife returned to Virginia meanwhile.
    After 4 montsh the sloop that brought her to Virginia came back. But it was gutted of whatever it contained by pirates
    except those letters sent by his wife.

Chasint

English - England
    He (Colonel Jack) was in an island named Antigua. Wife returned to Virginia meanwhile.
    After 4 montsh the sloop that brought her to Virginia came back. But it was gutted of whatever it contained by pirates
    except those letters sent by his wife.
    In that case I think that my interpretation was probably right. The King sent copies to Virginia and Jack's wife wrote to him with that news, probably without forwarding the copies.

Others who know the story may be able answer more definitively.

< Previous | Next >