and "shape" to key points for defense

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Tesuji is the name for the moves that make the most effective use of stones. [...]
Until recently, common usage has been that the term "tesuji" by itself refers to techniques for close-combat fighting; "suji" refers to key points for attacking and "shape" to key points for defense.
(Dictionary of Basic Tesuji; Volume 1; Fujisawa Shuko; Translated by Steven Bretherick)

Where does this 'shape' spring from? Should I read it as '"suji" refers to... and "te" (which means 'shape') to...'?

Thanks.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Shape" [refers] to key points for defense." The word "refers" was omitted. It was used in the previous phrase (" 'suji' refers to key points for attacking"), so it is implied here.

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you Egmont.

Maybe my question was awkwardly formulated, but I did see the omitted word 'refers', I simply can't figure out where "shape" comes from - the author begins by explaining what is "suji", which is a Japanese word, and then jumps to clarifying what is "shape", which is an English word.

Thanks.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The quoted passage is in English, but it is about a Japanese game. Perhaps some concepts are described by Japanese words, others by English words. This sort of mixed usage is common in games and sports that originated in non-English-speaking countries.

< Previous | Next >