and she bore me off into the country like a treasure.

< Previous | Next >

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
We were united in lawful wedlock and she bore me off into the country like a treasure.

Hi.

Can anyone restate the phrase in blue in easier form so as to establish understanding for me?

Thanks.

• Aaron10

English
    Kinda like "she took me off into the countryside" then the treasure part just kinda means because you were special to her. I'm not really sure if this is exactly what you wanted but let me know!

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
    Thanks Aaron, that was very magnanimous of you to take the time to help me out. Let me provide you with more details (more context of the novel) to help you understand atmosphere and surrouding factors in the book. (Crime and Punishment)
    I've deteriorated in the country. But I did get into prison for debt, through a low Greek who came from Nezhin. Then Marfa Petrovna turned up; she bargained with him and bought me off for thirty thousand silver pieces (I owed seventy thousand). We were united in lawful wedlock and she bore me off into the country like a treasure. You know she was five years older than I.

Mod. note: Maximum quotations length is four sentences. Feel free to post a link to more complete text.

Joelline

American English
    Good evening shiness,

We were united in lawful wedlock and she bore me off into the country like a treasure.
    We were married and she carried me off to the country as if I were a prize (a valuable thing).

In fact, he was valuable enough to her to have paid 30,000 pieces of silver. The fact that she bargained the price down and that the specific amount is an obvious allusion to the 30 pieces of silver given to Judas for betraying Jesus Christ may or may not be significant to you.

< Previous | Next >