And she has such style

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "And she has such style" means in the following sentences:

And she has such style, my daughter. We all know that about her, don’t we? Her magazine, her beautiful house in Islington, and now this stunning man here.’ She puts a red-nailed hand on Will’s shoulder.

- Lucy Foley, The Guest List, Chapter 14

This is a thriller novel published in 2020 in the United Kingdom. One hundred and fifty guests gathered at some remote and deserted fictional islet called Inis an Amplóra off the coast of the island of Ireland to celebrate the wedding between Jules (a self-made woman running an online magazine called The Download) and Will (a celebrity appearing in a TV show program called Survive the Night). The day before the actual wedding day, at the rehearsal dinner, Jules' mother suddenly gets up from her chair and starts a speech in front of the guests, much to Jules' chagrin. At this remark in the quote, Jules gets angry, thinking, "Like I picked him out to go with a pair of shoes. Like I’m marrying him just because he fits perfectly into my life."

In this part, I am wondering what she means by "she has such style."
Is Jules' mother saying that her daughter is very stylish? Or... even, socially acceptable? I think I am confused here because I cannot see how her magazine (the business she established herself) and her house and her husband make her "stylish."
Perhaps I guess, I am missing something, there might be some other meaning in "style"...

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Uncle Jack,

Thank you very much for the explanation!
    So her mother is saying that everything she has--her house, her magazine, and her husband--makes her seem stylish, because each of them reflects her style.
    I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Just like in your other question about the mother's speech, you get the sense the mother is complimentary on the surface and critical underneath. And Jules senses that, too.

It almost sounds like she is jealous of her daughter. Remember, by her own words, the mother can't stay focused on achieving goals and is "unhappy". She might think Jules has the (life)style she always wanted but couldn't achieve. She might be an actress, but apparently (according to Jules, in another excerpt) her skills aren't that good and, according to another passage, she doesn't work in top-line theaters. Her appearances are in smaller, less prestigious ones.

'And she has such style, my daughter.'

I don't know if you sense this as a non-native speaker, but for a mother to say that that way about a daughter does not sound loving. It sounds distant. Like she is talking about someone she is not close to. Like she is analyzing her objectively.

"My daughter has such style" would sound far more loving.

Last edited:

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear kentix,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So here, Jules' mother might be jealous of Jules, because Jules has achieved the lifestyle that she had desired but failed to achieve!
    Then "style" here would mean that Jules is stylish, but also that Jules has attained a successful, wealthy, and recognized style of life.
    Jules' mother has always sought to be successful as an actress, but her efforts failed, so it is no wonder that she is jealous of Jules.
    I don't know if you sense this as a non-native speaker, but for a mother to say that that way about a daughter does not sound loving. It sounds distant. Like she is talking about someone she is not close to. Like she is analyzing her objectively.
    Wow, this cast light upon a new area for me! I didn't realize that adding "my daughter" at the end of the sentence can sound detached to English speakers. So she really is revealing her distance and perhaps envy towards her own daughter in that way.
    I sincerely appreciate your help, your explanation always deepens my understanding. :thank you: