And soon so would I

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ariadna_y, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ariadna_y

ariadna_y Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano
    Hi everyone! I wanted to know if this sentence is ok:

All those memories had been erased, just like my mum and my sister vaporized, and soon so would I.

Thanks.

2. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    Hi there,

I would like to try to assist you, but I think the original Spanish would help me make sure I understand your meaning.

First, I'm not sure about the word "mum." Perhaps in England it is spelled this way (I'm not sure), but it would definitely be "mom" in the U.S.

I have some ideas for translation, but I'll wait for the original to make sure I've got the right idea.

Thanks!

3. ariadna_y

ariadna_y Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano
    It was actually a composition so I wrote it directly in English. If it helps it's about 1984 and that's why I used the word vaporized! Thank you for your help!

4. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    All of those memories had been erased--vaporized--just like my mom and my sisters. Soon I would be, too.

All of those memories had been erased, just like my mom and sisters had been. Soon, it would be me. OR Soon, I would be next.

I'm not sure if I have conserved your original meaning.

I won't pretend that these are stellar sentences, but I think this MAY be what you mean to say. If you re-draft the sentence in Spanish off the cuff, I may be able to do better.

Hope this helps...and I hope you ace the composition.

Take care!

PS: I'm sorry, you could also say...and soon, so would I!!!! I just realized that this was the title of your post!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. C_O Senior Member

English
    ..and soon I would too.

6. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I agree fully with Thank you's advice, but will add that the problem with your sentence is that it implies that the mother and sister really were vaporized, instead of this being a hypothetical example. To make this clear, you need to say "All those memories had been erased, just as if my mum and my sister had vaporized."

And "mum" is very British, so only use it if that is your target audience.

You have to use a comma after "would" here. And it sounds much better with the verb added: And soon I would be, too. This makes it clear that a passive voice construction is being referred to.

7. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    Dear Gengo,

You are so bright! Every time I read one of your posts, I learn something...even in my native tongue! Just glad there are so many intelligent linguists on this site.

Ariadna, Gengo's advice overrides my own! It is very grammatically sound. Ironically, it is sophisticated and colloquial a la vez...a rare mix!

Suerte!

8. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Thank you, Thank you. ;)

Blushing,

gengo

9. ariadna_y

ariadna_y Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano
    Thank you both, I'm learning quickly thanks to your help! :)