and Stafford wed and bred and blundered on till Oxcross ...

thetazuo

Chinese - China
His father (=Tywin Lannister) had never been unduly swayed by sentiment. Tywin Lannister’s own father Lord Tytos had once imprisoned an unruly bannerman, Lord Tarbeck. The redoubtable Lady Tarbeck responded by capturing three Lannisters, including young Stafford, whose sister was betrothed to cousin Tywin. “Send back my lord and love, or these three shall answer for any harm that comes him,” she had written to Casterly Rock. Young Tywin suggested his father oblige by sending back Lord Tarbeck in three pieces. Lord Tytos was a gentler sort of lion, however, so Lady Tarbeck won a few more years for her muttonheaded lord, and Stafford wed and bred and blundered on till Oxcross. But Tywin Lannister endured, eternal as Casterly Rock. (Game of Thrones)

Hi. Does the bold part imply Lady Tarbeck bent Stafford to her will by marrying him to someone she wanted him to marry because Stafford was her hostage ---Stafford married her and fathered children and this was a blunder (=mistake)?

Thank you.

• Barque

Tamil
    I understand it as meaning Stafford married (not necessarily someone of Lady Tarbeck's choice), had children and kept blundering on, living his life without much purpose or aim.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    I understand it as meaning Stafford married (not necessarily someone of Lady Tarbeck's choice), had children and kept blundering on, living his life without much purpose or aim.
    Thank you Barque. So blundered on means "kept making mistakes" here, right?
    And the sentence is saying Stafford was returned home after Oxcross, not dying at Oxcross, right?

Barque

Tamil
    Thank you Barque. So blundered on means "kept making mistakes" here, right?
    Not exactly. "Blundered on" in that context means something like "lived his life without much aim or purpose" and also suggests that the path wasn't smooth and that the person wasn't particularly smart. It's difficult for me to say more because I know nothing about this character.
    And the sentence is saying Stafford was returned home after Oxcross, not dying at Oxcross, right?
    It doesn't say what happened after Oxcross, whatever that might be, only that that state of affairs continued till Oxcross.

< Previous | Next >