and that little not till at least half a year after

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is coming from colonel Jack by Daniel Defoe

Now, I looked upon myself as one buried alive in a remote part of the
world, where I could see nothing at all, and hear but a little of what
was seen, and that little not till at least half a year after it was done, and sometimes a year or more; and, in a word, the old reproach often came in the way--namely, that even this was not yet the life of a gentleman.
Q:I am wondering if the subject of this sentence "and that little" what does "it" mean here?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I could see nothing at all, and hear but a little of what was seen, and that little not till at least half a year after it was done,
    I could see nothing at all, and hear only a little of what was seen, and the little that I heard did not reach my ears until at least half a year after it had been done,

did not reach my ears = I did not hear about

enkidu68

turkish
    PaulQ, what does "it" refere to? old reproach? In other words,
    he does not feel shame until 6 months. Or it refers to being gentlman?

lingobingo

English - England
    I could see nothing at all, and hear but a little of what was seen, and that little not till at least half a year after it was done, and sometimes a year or more​

He’s talking about news of what’s going on in the world, and complaining that news from overseas does not reach him until long after the event – sometimes as long as 6 months or even a whole year after “it was done” = after the event being reported actually happened.

(I’m getting déjà vu here. I’m sure you’ve asked this question before. :))

enkidu68

turkish
    Yes right, this sentence belonged to Colonel Jack not to his tutor, so
    then there must be two similar sentences in the text.
    :)

< Previous | Next >