and the most cases reported since the institute started taking records 18 years ago

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
In the NHK news :)Biggest influenza outbreak in years)there are sentences as follows.

In Japan, the National Institute of Infestious Diseases says 2.8 million
people were infected with influena last week. That's more than double the number from the week before,
and the most cases reported since the institute started taking records 18 years ago.

Question) Please let me know the meanig of the bold parts with a gramatical explanation.

Thank you.

Kazu Fudaba

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    2.8 million is the largest weekly number of cases since the year 2000. That was the date when the institute started keeping records.

Grammatically, I see little difficulty. What gives you problems?

Chasint

English - England
    I
    In Japan, the National Institute of Infestious Diseases says 2.8 million
    people were infected with influena last week. That's more than double the number from the week before,
    and the most cases reported since the institute started taking records 18 years ago.
    That's more than double the number from the week before,
    and that's the most cases reported since the institute started taking records 18 years ago.

kazuhiko fudaba

Japanese
    I can't understanad the meaning of that's the most cases reported,
    especially the most cases.
    Please paraphrase the most cases. Can the word "that" be connected the plural of case "cases"?

Thank you
    Kazu Fudaba

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    “That” refers to “2.8 million.” That number is the largest number if cases of influenza reported since such reporting began, 18 years ago.

< Previous | Next >