and then they put me on a drip

zinc

England/ English
Hello Zusammen. In EN, to be "put on a drip" means a kind of medical treatment where you're hooked up to a drip-feeding liquid fed into your veins. In DE I think you say :"Ich bekam eine Infusion."

But how do I say, "and then they put me on a drip" ? Ie to describe a continuous action. "they sit me down, I take off my shirt, they stick a needle into my arm, and then they put me on a drip".

"... dann wurde ich am Tropf gehängt" ?

• berndf

German (Germany)
    Almost: "... dann wurde ich an den Tropf gehängt". If you describe the state of being on the drip, you use an+dative but if you describe the action of being put on(to) the drip, you use an+accusative.

zinc

England/ English
    Thanks. Just a confirmation: is it "wurde" or "werde" ? I mean, I'm trying to say : "(everyday I go to hospital and ...), they put me on a drip." Not a past action, eg (I went to hospital and) they put me on a drip."

Frank78

German
    Thanks. Just a confirmation: is it "wurde" or "werde" ? I mean, I'm trying to say : "(everyday I go to hospital and ...), they put me on a drip." Not a past action, eg (I went to hospital and) they put me on a drip."
    Then it is "werde".

"Ich werde jeden Tag an den Tropf gehängt."

< Previous | Next >