and to further develop

thetazuo

Chinese - China
It called for the integration of the culture and economy of Shenzhen with Hong Kong and Macao via funding for hospitals, joint disaster relief efforts and cultural exchanges, and to further develop the Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and "enrich the new practice of the 'one country, two systems' policy."

China's State Council Calls for Shenzhen Integration With Hong Kong, Macau

Hi. I find the underlined part strange. Shouldn’t it be “and in order to further develop the Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and "enrich the new practice of the 'one country, two systems' policy."”?

Thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I think they meant that the purpose of the funding is 'to further develop.......'

Your rephrase changes the meaning. It says that the joint disaster relief efforts and cultural exchanges aim at further developing.....

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    But the original text says “...via funding... and to further develop...”. The “and” is strange here. :confused:
    I think the "and" can be explained by the following reasoning. We have a list of initially three items the funding was for, namely:
    (1) hospitals,
    (2) [and] joint disaster relief efforts, (this "and" is omitted as is customary with lists, where we generally put in an "and" only before the last item)
    (3) and cultural exchanges, (this is the initially final item)
    and then a new "final" item is added, almost as an afterthought, with its own "and"; well, actually two items, each with its own "and":
    (4) and [also] to further develop the ... Area (you can almost imagine this "also" inserted here)
    (5) and [to] enrich the new...

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you both. I didn’t realize “and to further develop...” is another item belonging to the list consisting of initial three items.

< Previous | Next >