and totally dependent / and are totally dependent

nickhk

french-france
In one of my grammar book, I get the following sentence:

Infant gorillas weigh roughly four pounds at birth and totally dependant on their mothers for sustenance, protection and transportation.

Coming from a grammar book, I should expect this sentence to be correct but it disturbs my English grammatical knowledge. Is it correct or is there something missing?

PS: I would put a verb (are) between "and" and "totally".

• chat9998

English, US
    You are correct, nick! There should be something there... like "and [they] are totally..." Perhaps it was an unintentional misprint! I hope! :)

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

nickhk

french-france
    Wow, that was a quick reply.

Thanks.

I hope it was just a misprint becasue it came from a TOEIC test I took recently (and this was not the question). I hope the people judging my English don't make such mistakes.

chat9998

English, US
    No problem, nick!

I agree! If they do make such mistakes, write me and let me know and I'll give them an "instruction" on proper English grammar! ;-)

Another possibility the book could have meant (but would also be a misprint) would be: "... and totally depend on..." then 'are' could be omitted, but without that change, it needs the other verb there!

You'll find that replies come pretty quickly on this site! I'm looking for questions to answer, and they've all been answered already! :)

Hope that helps!
    Jeff

marget

No problem, nick!

I agree! If they do make such mistakes, write me and let me know and I'll give them an "instruction" on proper English grammar! ;-)

Another possibility the book could have meant (but would also be a misprint) would be: "... and totally depend on..." then 'are' could be omitted, but without that change, it needs the other verb there!

You'll find that replies come pretty quickly on this site! I'm looking for questions to answer, and they've all been answered already! :)

Hope that helps!
    Jeff

I have seen misprints in test preparation books and I have even encountered mistakes in recorded materials, but I have never found errors on actual tests such as the TOEIC. Mistakes can be made; it's a good idea to question them!

mortar and pestle

USA
    Tagalog-English, Philippines
    1. and they ARE totally dependent...
    2.and ARE totally dependent

You have two options but the 2nd one is better if you are an adult using the English language:) I recommend the 2nd option....

< Previous | Next >