",and unable to" without Be verb

< Previous | Next >

nagomi

Korean
"Looking at one another, they recognise familiarity for the first time in 25 years, and unable to cope with the intensity of their emotions, their relationship quickly takes them down a path Miso could never have expected."

Why there's no "be" verb before unable (underlined)?

Like the very first part of the sentence, if using "ing" without subject and Be verb a way to insert an additional sentence in a form of phrase to add information, is
",and + present participle" a form that can be put in in the middle of the sentence with the same function as "ing+comma" before the real begeinning of the sentence?

source: This Isn't Romance review at Soho Theatre London | Review | Theatre | The Stage

• london calling

UK English
    The punctuation threw me slightly. This is better, in my opinion:

"Looking at one another, they recognise familiarity for the first time in 25 years and , unable to cope with the intensity of their emotions, their relationship quickly takes them down a path Miso could never have expected."

Being/as they were (unable to cope) is implied, but not necessary.

Last edited:

nagomi

Korean
    The punctuation threw me slightly. This is better, in my opinion:

"Looking at one another, they recognise familiarity for the first time in 25 years and , unable to cope with the intensity of their emotions, their relationship quickly takes them down a path Miso could never have expected."

Being/as they were (unable to cope) is implied, but not necessary

I think you answered my question enough, and thank you for additional tips.

< Previous | Next >