And unknown thousand of years ago

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

The sentence is this "And unknown thousands of year ago, here on Svalu, the San showed respect for these animals."

This "unknown" here i simply to stress those "thousands years" or something else?

Thanks.

• Thelb4

UK English
    The "unknown" modifies the "thousands". It could have been ten thousand years, it could have been a thousand thousand years.

George French

English - UK
    "And unknown thousands of year ago, here on Svalu, the San showed respect for these animals."
    I would have thought that it should be "And unknown thousands of years ago".

GF..

Or is my English wilting in the heat? :) It's still 'ot here.

polyamide

English
    The meaning depends on the context.

It could mean an unknown number of thousands of years e.g 'tens of thousands of years' or 'hundreds of thousands' as previously suggested. However, the word 'unknown' could also refer to the San themselves or their routine behaviour of showing respect to animals (or whatever else).

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with polyamede; we need more context. It seems more likely that it means that the number of years is unknown, but it could also mean that that the San were unknown thousands of years ago. (If it is the latter, then And is correct, not An.)

(And, along with context, we need the source of this quotation.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >