And were my faith so strong that it could move mountains

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sukhomvit, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Sukhomvit Member

Viet
    In Out of Africa by I. Dinensen, the author writes about one year, the heavy rains, which usually started in March and continued through June, do not come. Without the rain, the heat that has grown all spring felt overpowering. That is a terrible, tremendous experience, and the farmer who has lived through it, will never forget it. To keep herself entertained, the author takes to telling stories to her visitors and also starts writing them down in her dining-room. The dining-room looked West, and she wrotes:

"You could not see the river itself from the house, but you could follow its winding course by the design of the dark-green big Acacias which grew along it. To the other side of it the wood-clad land rose again, and over the woods were the green plains that reached to the foot of the Ngong Hills.
    And were my faith so strong that it could move mountains, that is the mountain that I would make come to me.”"

It seems the author quotes the above sentence from some source but I only found a similar sentence in The Bible - Matthew 17:20
    "And he says to them, Because of your little faith: for truly I say to you, If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, Be moved from this place to that; and it will be moved; and nothing will be impossible to you."

While the sentence in Bible is quite clear to me, I am not sure what the author means in the bold sentence. Should I read it as: "As my faith is strong that it could move mountains, I would like the Ngong Hills to move to me"
    Please someone enlighten me. Thanks!

2. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    It's a conditional: if my faith were so strong ...