, and where

Wishfull

Japanese
Hi.
I'm reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Bruno is a nine-year-old boy, and the writer was telling about his house.

Down from the top floor to the next one, where Mother and Father's room was, and the large bathroom, and where he wasn't supposed to be in any case.

If there is no "and", he wasn't supposed to be in the bathroom.・・・・・A

But there is "and". So I think other two interpretations.

B. There are two rooms at that floor. Mother and Father's room and the bathroom. And Bruno wasn't supposed to be in both of those rooms.

C. there are three rooms at that floor. One is Mother and Father's room, the second is the bathroom. And there is the third room, which he wasn't supposed to be in any case.

Which is the correct interpretation?

Thank you.

edit; The answer is A or B, not C, because the following sentence tells me that "down the next floor, ・・・and the smaller bathroom which he was supposed to use・・・・・・

edit again;
I think the answer is B.
Bruno was not supposed to be Mother and Father's room, because it was restricted room for him.
And Bruno was not supposed to be the large bathroom, because he used another smaller bathroom.
Am I understanding correctly?

Last edited:
  • *cat*

Slovene
    My opinion is that there are two rooms: one is from father and mother and second is a bathroom. Bruno shouldn't be there - I don't know if he shouldn't be there just now/at this moment or never.

But the first part of the sentence is confusing me. :confused:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    C is grammatically possible but extremely unlikely. You can use a phrase beginning with 'where' to name a location: 'Where I want to be right now is Bermuda', 'Bermuda is where I want to be right now.' But introducing a third room with this sort of phrase and no other explanation would be very strange.

It is in fact a relative marker 'where', in which case it's paired with the other one: 'where . . . and where', the two words referring to the same thing, namely the next floor. He went to the next floor, where (X) and where (Y).

X = the bedroom and bathroom were there
    Y = he wasn't allowed there

*cat*

Slovene
    C is grammatically possible but extremely unlikely. You can use a phrase beginning with 'where' to name a location: 'Where I want to be right now is Bermuda', 'Bermuda is where I want to be right now.' But introducing a third room with this sort of phrase and no other explanation would be very strange.

It is in fact a relative marker 'where', in which case it's paired with the other one: 'where . . . and where', the two words referring to the same thing, namely the next floor. He went to the next floor, where (X) and where (Y).

entangledbank, so you think that he was supposed to go to the two rooms (father and mother's + large bathroom), but he wasn't supposed to go to the next floor?

.., because the following sentence tells me that "down the next floor, ・・・and the smaller bathroom which he was supposed to use
    I think that I was right - he shouldn't use the large bathroom, but the smaller one. Father and mother's room aren't for him either.

Wishfull

Japanese

Thank you, entangledbank.
    I understand.
    I try to paraphrase it.
    Bruno was restricted to enter the whole "next floor", where there were two rooms, his parents' bed room and his parents' shower room.
    (Because the floor was his parents' secret zone, where was not a nine-year-old boy's business.)
    OK?

< Previous | Next >