And why, now, was he so tame under the violence or treachery done him

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 20

Quotation: And this man I bent over—this commonplace, quiet stranger—how had he become involved in the web of horror? and why had the Fury flown at him? What made him seek this quarter of the house at an untimely season, when he should have been asleep in bed? I had heard Mr. Rochester assign him an apartment below—what brought him here! And why, now, was he so tame under the violence or treachery done him?

Context: Injured severely, the man was soaked in blood.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. is it correct?

And what was the reason that now he was so submissive when he suffered from the violence or treachery?

• Yes, submissive is applicable. Maybe 'passive'. Note a bit later, the word, 'unresisting.'
    The man is scared, badly wounded. Yes he submits to R's directions.

The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 20

Quotation: And this man I bent over—this commonplace, quiet stranger—how had he become involved in the web of horror? and why had the Fury flown at him? What made him seek this quarter of the house at an untimely season, when he should have been asleep in bed? I had heard Mr. Rochester assign him an apartment below—what brought him here! And why, now, was he so tame under the violence or treachery done him?

Context: Injured severely, the man was soaked in blood.
    ===
    Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. is it correct?

And what was the reason that now he was so submissive when he suffered from the violence or treachery?

Last edited:

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Thank you for your explanation. :D I'd say "done me" had also puzzled me before I found "5 to be the cause of (good, credit, etc.); bring about;
    effect: Drugs can do you a lot of harm. [~ + object + object]" in WR dictionary.

'done' has a common meaning, i.e. inflicted upon.
    the violence or treachery done him =

the violence or treachery that was done to him.

'me' does not work, here.

But 'done me' could work, for example. "I have been harmed by several persons, but I have never retaliated against the violence done me."

Thank you for your explanation. :D I'd say "done me" had also puzzled me before I found "5 to be the cause of (good, credit, etc.); bring about;
    effect: Drugs can do you a lot of harm. [~ + object + object]" in WR dictionary.

< Previous | Next >