and will be <developing> <being developed>

< Previous | Next >

glorsh66

Russian
I have had some argument with my teacher about this phrase. He said that it isn't correct to construct to say in that way:

The IT industry is developing now and will be developing in the future?

And said that correct form of this sentence would be something like that

The IT industry is developing now and will be being developed in the future?

But why? Can you explain me why it has to be that way?
I guest it because The IT Industry cannot develop itself, somebody has to do it. And in this case he have to use passive voice (an force is being applied to the industry)
But why is it possible to say in active voice?

The IT industry is developing

Or can you explain how to properly construct this sentence (or something similar, where object by itself can't do anything and somebody else has to do something towards this object to change its state).

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    You would use the same form (active or passive) for both verbs.
    If the future needs to be passive, so does the present.
    If the present can be active, so can the future.

I think active tense is acceptable. Look at the WR page for "develop" (develop - WordReference.com Dictionary of English).

I'm not sure if meaning 1 or meaning 2 is closest to your sentence, but both of them can be used in two ways, as shown by the examples:

1. The thing being developed is the verb's object (programmers are developing the IT industry)
    2. The thing being developed is the verb's subject (the IT industry is developing)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Your version is not really wrong, and is in effect using "developing" as an adjective. It would sound a bit more punchy if you said:
    The IT industry is developing now and will still be developing in the future. By the way, you should not end something with a question mark if it isn't a question.

Your teacher's version sounds unnatural. We just don't speak like that. If the active form is fine for the present, there is no need to make it passive for the future case.
    The continuous form is fine for the present, but for the future I would abandon it, and say:
    "...and will continue to develop in the future."

cross-posted

Linkway

British English
    I prefer to use "develop" rather than "developing" in the second half of the sentence:

The IT industry is developing now and will continue to develop in the future.

< Previous | Next >