and <,> with a heartfelt birthday card, he made [comma?]

florance

danish
Hi everyone!

Hi everyone, I am wondering if a comma is needed for the following scenario:

"Using all his money, Mike bought his son a doll, and with a heartfelt birthday card, he made his son's birthday almost perfect.

Here, for the prepositional phrase "with a heartfelt birthday card", I am not sure if a comma is needed before it, as in "and, and with a heartfelt birthday card, he ..." or if it can be omitted just as it is in the actual sentence.

Many thanks guys!

• Copyright

American English
    What I would do:

"Using all his money, Mike bought his son a doll and, with a heartfelt birthday card, made his son's birthday almost perfect."

"Almost perfect"? :)

gazrj01

English - Australian
    I would include the comma, Florance. Otherwise, it might read as if you were buying a doll and another thing (two items). It is clearer with the comma. To repeat "Mike bought his son a doll, and with a heartfelt birthday card..." (Although, to nitpick, it is not the birthday card that is heartfelt, it is either the greeting on it, or some sentiment attached to the buying of it.)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I hope you don't mind me point a different problem with the sentence. Here with means using. So you say that Mike made his son's birthday almost perfect using a birthday card. You do not say using a birthday card and a doll.

If you wanted the "with" to mean "the doll with the card" you would an earlier "with":

"Using all his money, Mike bought his son a doll, and with that, along with a heartfelt birthday card, he made his son's birthday almost perfect.

"Using all his money, Mike bought his son a doll, and that, along with a heartfelt birthday card, made his son's birthday almost perfect.

florance

danish
    Thank you so much for the explanation! :)

Yeah I do think using the comma after and makes thing so much clearer! Yeah I am trying to say that the money is used to buy the doll and a card is tagged along with the doll (which is not directly related to the 'using all his money' part :) )

And i really love the 'along with' suggestion! It makes the sentence even more clear! Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >