...and with an eye or an ear for detail is crucial...(What is the subject?)

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
TOPIC : What is the subject of 'is' in the quote

Hello, members.

Thus being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail is crucial in many artistic domains. ( Source )
This is how I understand the bold, "it is crucial being with an eye or an ear for detail".

The most concern I have with the bold is it seems as if 'with an eye or an ear for detail' is the subject. Having hardly seen preposition-subject, I'm not sure whether it is correct or not how I understand the bold.

It would be much appreciated if you could help me to understand the sentence.

Thank you.

Mink-Shin.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The gerund 'being able' is the subject:
    being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail is crucial

If you want to, you can say the whole gerund phrase is the subject:

being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail

[= being able to perceive well and [being able to perceive] with an eye or ear for detail]

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hi, Cagey.

The gerund 'being able' is the subject:
    being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail is crucial

If you want to, you can say the whole gerund phrase is the subject:
    being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail
    [= being able to perceive well and [being able to perceive] with an eye or ear for detail]
    Hmm... Do you think the comma before and is necessary?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would have matched that comma with another after 'detail'.

Thus being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail, is crucial in many artistic domains.

It seems likely that some people will disagree with me and prefer to omit both commas.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I would have matched that comma with another after 'detail'.

Thus being able to perceive well, and with an eye or an ear for detail, is crucial in many artistic domains.

It seems likely that some people will disagree with me and prefer to omit both commas.
    If allowed, I would omit the "and" before "with" and use the parenthetical commas exactly as you have.

< Previous | Next >